New Kia EV9 Review 2024
Everything you need to know about Kia’s fully electric seven-seater SUV
The latest edition to the Kia lineup is set to take the UK by storm by providing the ultimate electrified driving experience. Introducing the new Kia EV9 - a family-centred electric SUV that is really shaking things up by meeting the demands of a modern lifestyle.
In this review all about the Kia EV9 2024 model, we explore the exterior design, take an in-depth look inside the luxury seven-seater, discover what onboard technology is included, and discuss the reasons why Kia’s latest e-SUV is leading the charge. Read on to find out more…
New Kia EV9 2024 highlights:
- Seven-seater family-friendly electric SUV
- A six-seat option is also available
- Built on the industry-leading E-GMP platform
- Long EV distance driving of up to 349 miles on a single charge
- 800V ultra-fast charging capabilities
- Up to 154 miles of range is achievable in just 15 minutes
- Available in three different trim levels
- Includes a host of intuitive safety features
- The AWD variant can tow up to 2.5 tonnes of weight
- Take advantage of Kia Connect Services
- Benefit from 7-year standard warranty and 7-year battery warranty
What type of car is the Kia EV9?
The Kia EV9 is a luxurious family-friendly seven-seater fully electric SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle) built on the transformative Electric Global Modular Platform (E-GMP). Compared to a typical e-SUV, Kia’s EV9 model utilises a long wheelbase to house its entirely flat electric vehicle architecture - a game changer in the industry. This clever design not only provides a spacious interior for its occupants but also offers an environment in which to relax and enjoy - ideal during long journeys with friends or family.
When it comes to EV powertrains, the choice is yours; rear-wheel drive (RWD) and all-wheel drive (AWD) options each offer their own level of range and performance, so you can choose a car to suit your needs. Where powertrains are concerned, we’d like to point out here that the Kia EV9 AWD version has an impressive towing capacity of 2,500 kg (braked), offering superb grip and performance with a trailer in tow.
The EV9 is available in three trim variants for an altogether more bespoke driving experience during every journey - select the entry-level ‘Air’ edition, mid-level ‘GT-Line’ edition, or top-level ‘GT-Line S’ edition to experience battery-powered technology at its best.
How much does the Kia EV9 cost?
- Kia EV9 Air - starting from £64,995
- Kia EV9 GT-Line - starting from £73,245
- Kia EV9 GT-Line S - starting from £75,995
When is the Kia EV9 available in the UK?
The Kia EV9 is available to pre-order now with the first deliveries due in early 2024. You can see the seven-seater SUV in person by visiting one of our EMG Motor Group branches across East Anglia. As an official Kia stockist, we proudly teamed up with the manufacturer for an exclusive Kia EV9 Electric Experience event to celebrate the Autumn launch.
What size car is the Kia EV9?
Kia really has designed an e-SUV that demands attention - and for all the right reasons. Its striking appearance sets the tone and boldly states that the new face of seven-seater SUV travel is here to stay. Here’s how it measures up:
Kia EV9 2024 model dimensions
- Length = 5,015 mm
- Width = 1,980 mm
- Height = 1,780 mm
- Boot space = 333 litres
- Frunk storage = 90 litres RWD models, 52 litres AWD models
Kia EV9 exterior design and features
Kia’s EV9 model is characterised by many standout features for an instantly recognisable look, including:
- Boxy shape - The overall silhouette is upright and blocky like a classic SUV, with a flat hood, near vertical windshield, and a very square back designed to provide ample amounts of interior space.
- Front light bar - The striking SUV has a full-width LED bar that runs across the entire front - instead of traditional-looking headlights - for a much more distinctive look up front. This is complemented by cube LED headlamps paired with Z-shaped daytime running lights that complete the futuristic look.
- Signature tail lights - Like the front of the car, the rear uses a thin full-width LED strip creating uninterrupted brake lights designed to make a statement. The ‘hidden’ rear wipers provide a clean and unspoiled look from behind.
- Pop-out door handles - All four handles sit flush with the car’s body and electronically pop out when opening the doors. This clever design not only creates a less-cluttered silhouette but is also very practical when parking too.
- Bold alloy wheels - GT-Line models are fitted with lightweight 21-inch aluminium wheels, designed with pronounced geometric sculpted arches that really make an impact.
- Panoramic sunroof - Welcome the outside in thanks to not one, but two panoramic sunroofs that use a tilting and sliding function operated by a one-touch button system.
- Colourful finishing touches - As standard, the EV9 is available in five gloss-based colours, they are: 1) Snow White Pearl 2) Aurora Black Pearl 3) Flare Red 4) Pebble Grey 5) Iceberg Green. In addition, GT-Line models are also available in gloss and matte Ivory Silver or Ocean Blue.
Kia EV9 interior design and layout
Providing space and comfort for everyone on board is key for the Kia EV9 - and it does this very well thanks to its six or seven-seat configuration. Here’s what you need to know about the interior:
- Spacious three rows of seating - Thanks to a flat floor battery pack design, the EV9 interior offers ample headroom and legroom across three rows of seats to comfortably seat up to seven passengers.
- Second-row seating options - The second row of seats can recline nearly flat with extendable leg rests, maximising passenger comfort. With the six-seat version, swivel seats are fitted in the second row with a 180-degree twisting action so passengers can face each other. An ideal option when travelling with children.
- Premium eco-friendly materials - The seats, doors, and dashboard showcase premium materials that are sustainable - like bio-polyurethane (an alternative to leather) and plastics sourced from post-consumer waste.
- Minimalist dash - The dashboard uses a clean, uncluttered horizontal layout with slim air vents to mirror the exterior design. A thin digital display panel cluster replaces bulky screens or chunky controls found in other models.
- Ambient lighting - Tailored ambient interior lighting strips illuminate the doors, dash, and footwells to create a lounge-like environment and sense of spaciousness throughout the cabin.
- Dual panoramic roof - Two expansive fixed panoramic glass roofs give the cabin an airy, open feel and enhance natural light in the EV9 interior.
- Unique ‘frunk’ storage - Where an engine usually sits underneath the bonnet, instead the EV9’s front hood compartment (also known as the ‘frunk’ - which stands for front trunk) provides sizable storage capacity in addition to the rear boot space. A great addition if you need to carry a lot of cargo.
- Advanced onboard tech - Benefit from driver assistance features such as facial recognition, augmented reality head-up display, intuitive voice commands, and over-the-air updates for the ultimate hands-free driving experience.
Kia EV9 technology and on-board safety
Kia wants everyone to benefit from an intuitive user experience so it has integrated a range of tech in its sophisticated EV9 model, for ultimate convenience and assistance when behind the wheel. As such, the electric SUV is equipped with an extensive array of technology and onboard safety features:
- Facial recognition - Interior cameras and AI recognise a driver's face and customise the settings for each individual - ideal when you are short on time.
- Augmented reality HUD - An optional augmented reality head-up display (HUD) projects helpful graphics like navigation directions into your line of sight, meaning you don’t need to glance to the centre console for further instructions.
- OTA updates - Software, maps, entertainment, and more can be updated over the air (OTA) without needing to go back to the dealer. Automatic updates are sent directly to the car’s in-built infotainment system instead.
- Multiple touchscreen displays - The collection of panoramic wide display screens provides all the information and entertainment you need, including a 12.3-inch driver digital cluster screen, a 12.3-inch AVNT screen, plus a 5.3-inch climate system screen.
- Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) - Advanced driver aids like adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, blind spot warning, forward collision avoidance (FCA), and highway driving pilot (HDP) are included for the safety of you and your passengers.
- Remote smart parking - Kia’s Remote Smart Parking Assist 2 (RSPA 2) enables the EV9 to be parked remotely - with or without the driver inside. This clever piece of tech proves especially helpful in tight spaces.
- Car Wash Mode - Visiting a drive-thru car wash is even more convenient thanks to Kia’s Car Wash Mode which automatically locks the car, closes the windows, pulls in the side mirrors, and ensures the door handles are flush.
- EV range monitoring - Access charging station info when on the go and monitor how many miles are available thanks to a range prediction system based on driving style and road conditions.
Kia EV9 charging - everything you need to know about plugging in
When it comes to charging capabilities and performance on the road, Kia’s EV9 model takes some beating. Range anxiety is a thing of the past thanks to the numerous options available when it comes to recharging the battery. Here’s what you can expect:
- 800V architecture - The EV9 uses an 800-volt electrical architecture that enables faster charging and has the capabilities to outperform other premium e-SUVs.
- 350 kW fast charging - When plugged into a DC fast charging station, the EV9 can charge from 10% to 80% battery capacity in under 30 minutes.
- Ultra-fast charging - If a fast charge isn’t enough, then plug into an ultra-fast charging station to produce 154 miles of range in just 15 minutes - this takes some beating where other EVs are concerned!
- Charging at home - The EV9 comes with a 7.2 kW home charger for convenient overnight charging from a 220V outlet. Expect a full charge in around 9-10 hours when plugged in at home.
- Public charging access - Kia offers the KiaCharge service with access to a nationwide charging network that contains over 1.5 million public and workplace chargers - so you’ll never need to worry about running out of charge.
- Heat pump system - The inbuilt intelligent heat pump system helps regulate the battery’s temperature for a more efficient fast charge in colder weather conditions.
Benefits of buying a Kia EV9 - seven reasons to choose the e-SUV
I’m sure you’ll agree that there are many benefits to buying the new Kia EV9 2024 model. This electric seven-seater SUV really is tearing up the rule book and doing things differently - which is exactly why we love it. In summary, here are seven reasons why the EV9 is a great purchase:
- Long driving range - With up to 349 miles of range on a single charge, you and your family can enjoy plenty of road trips and adventures. The EV9 offers a superb range for the size of the vehicle.
- Fast charging capabilities - Owning an electric car doesn’t necessarily mean spending hours waiting for it to charge. The EV9’s ultra-fast charging capabilities mean you can pull over for a 154-mile boost in as little as 15 minutes.
- Spacious interior and cargo space - With three rows of customisable seating housed within a box-like shape, both driver and passengers will benefit from an abundance of space.
- Futuristic exterior design - The exterior boasts an eye-catching and adventurous design to stand the test of time. The EV9 is bound to turn heads!
- Latest tech features - As we know, it’s not just about looks, and the good news is that the EV9 is much more than skin deep. It has plenty of onboard tech and driver assistance safety features too, making the daily drive an absolute breeze.
- Exceptional towing ability - Behold an electric car that can tow, and does so really well! The Kia EV9 AWD version can tow up to 2,500 kg in weight and as such, is one of the current market leaders in the UK for electric towing.
- Competitive pricing - Kia prices its EVs extremely competitively, and the EV9 is no different. For a large electric SUV, the entry-level Air model is especially great value for money.
Discover the Kia EV9 at EMG Motor Group
Be one of the first to take the seven-seater EV9 for a test drive and place an order with us ready for delivery in early 2024. This family-friendly premium e-SUV really does tick a lot of boxes - we know you’re going to like it as much as we do!